Everyone has a few pet peeves – things about everyday life we find especially annoying, but that other people wouldn’t notice. Sometimes we know exactly why that thing irritates us. Other times, we just know that it irritates, and that’s all we care to know.
One of my pet peeves is the commode lid left in the “up” position. I wasn’t always that way. Growing up, no one in my family put the lid down and I doubt it was ever discussed. But sometime in my 20’s, I started keeping the toilet closed when not in use. And since then, I give an inner wince whenever I see it otherwise, which brings me to today’s list.
Ten Reasons to Put the Commode Lid DOWN After Every Use
- It keeps your dog from drinking out of the toilet.
- It keeps your toddler from playing in the water.
- It keeps your kitty from playing the flushing game.
- In feng shui, an open toilet causes your financial health to be continuously drained away.
- It hides the stains you couldn’t or didn’t remove.
- It lessens the chance that a cellphone, toothbrush or wedding ring will get dropped in there.
- It answers the question of whether the seat should be left down for the next person.
- A closed commode seems cleaner and more upscale. Freshly-cleaned hotel bathrooms always have the lid down for that reason.
- It’s the toilet’s version of zipping up the pants. You do zip up, right?
- Women think men who put the lid down are sensitive and sexy. (OK, I made that one up, but it’s possible, isn’t it? Of course it is.)